Taking care of your teeth and gums should always be a priority to prevent and protect against several things including, dental decay, periodontal disease, and gum disease. That’s why at Angie Rhodes DDS we recommend an annual dental cleaning for preventative care. This would include routine dental cleanings, regular checkups, fluoride treatments, and digital X-rays.
Why Have A Routine Dental Cleaning If I Already Floss And Brush My Teeth?
Professional cleanings are just as important as brushing and flossing daily. During an appointment, you often begin with X-rays to ensure there are no signs of disease or decay. Obviously, you will not have access to this type of technology within your home and this is a very crucial step that will benefit your teeth, gums, and your overall health. At Angie Rhodes DDS, our dental hygienist will use special instruments to remove plaque buildup and calcified tartar between the teeth and gums while also keeping you comfortable.
Your hygienist will also polish your teeth to remove surface stains to leave your teeth clean and shiny. An annual tooth cleaning is generally performed every six months but may be performed more often if you show signs of periodontal disease.
Going in for a tooth cleaning will also consist of a fluoride treatment. Fluoride treatments are offered to prevent tooth decay and plaque buildup in children and adults by making it difficult for plaque, sugars, and bacteria to build up and damage your teeth. It is painless and can be done in just a few minutes. After the fluoride treatment, you will be asked to avoid eating or drinking anything for a minimum of 30 minutes to let your teeth absorb the fluoride. Although avoiding eating or drinking for 30 minutes may be hard, the lasting results are worth it.
5 Benefits Of An Annual Teeth Cleaning
- Your dental hygienist can remove most of the stains that dull or discolor your teeth so you will be left with a brighter and whiter smile.
- Having your teeth cleaned by a professional annually can prevent gum disease.
- In America, one person dies every hour from oral cancer but many of these can be prevented if detected in the early stage during a routine cleaning.
- According to studies, there is a strong link between cardiovascular disease and gum disease. If you get your teeth cleaned at least twice a year, it can potentially reduce your chances of deadly heart attacks and strokes.
- During a dental cleaning, it is easy for your dentist to detect early signs of problems such as broken fillings and fractures.
At Angie Rhodes DDS, we believe keeping your smile healthy, strong, and bright is a priority. If you choose us to clean your teeth, we can promise you will be in the right hands. If you have any questions about oral health please feel free to contact us or if you have any questions about our other offered services, head on over to our website!